Program Code: 10-106-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 65 Credits
A Lakeshore Technical College Program Offered at FVTC
Program completion time varies – check with LTC for more info
Financial Aid Eligible - Awarded through LTC
You've seen high profile trials with a person keying the testimony into a stenograph machine or read the scrolling captions for the hearing-impaired on your TV screen. The person recording the spoken words at speeds ranging from 180 to 225 words a minute is a court reporter. If you're an excellent listener, have strong language and communication skills and are committed to accuracy and confidentiality, a career in court reporting may be a perfect fit for you. Careers include:
About Shared Programs
- Legislative Reporter
- Official Court Reporter in the Court System
- Freelance Reporter
Lakeshore Technical College (LTC) offers its Court Reporting program in collaboration with Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC). As a judicial reporting student, you'll:
- Attend the interactive TV and/or Internet classes sent from LTC to FVTC.
- Take general education classes and labs at FVTC.
Court Reporting is a collaborative program between FVTC and LTC. Application for this program must be completed through LTC.
Program Admission Requirements for LTC are:
- Skills assessment
- Accuplacer Reading Score of 74 or greater
- Accuplacer Sentence Score of 103 or greater
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Score of 79 or greater
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Develop proficiency in machine shorthand using realtime theory.
- Develop a personal dictionary, read, translate, and edit transcripts using CAT (computer assisted transcription) software.
- Produce saleable transcripts on a realtime translation system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper reporting procedures and responsibilities for freelance and official reporting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal and medical concepts and terminology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the professional reporting organizations and methods of gaining certification as a Registered Professional Reporter.