Banking and Financial Services
Program Code: 10-114-3
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 69 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
Financial officers and managers make decisions within a framework of policy set by the board of directors and existing laws and regulations. They must have a broad knowledge of business activities which relate to the operation of their departments. Fox Valley Technical College prepares you for an operating position within a financial institution. In financial institutions, operating personnel generally specialize in certain departments such as proof, bookkeeping, accounting, loan, credit, brokerage, trust, investment, savings counseling and customer service.
Banking & Financial Services is a specialized program of study in that it relates to financial institutions. Your courses in financial services give you a background in various phases of financial services. Accounting and business-related courses which are an integral part of financial services are also included in the curriculum. A Finance Internship course, which you take in the fourth semester, enables you to work in a financial institution to gain practical experience.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
Program Offered at This Location
- Effectively communicate with customers and co-workers to understand their level of knowledge in a diverse financial services environment.
- Use problem-solving strategies to prioritize and achieve specific financial goals of each client with their unique needs and styles.
- Present a professional attitude while applying ethical standards, complying with industry regulations, and maintaining confidentiality with customers and co-workers.
- Demonstrate basic accounting principles to recognize sound business decisions.
- Apply the concepts of financial planning which include insurance, investments, retirement, tax planning, estate planning, risk management, and asset protection.
- Analyze and recommend financial products and services and propose the appropriate product to the customers based on their individual needs.
- Understand the various financial industries and how they relate to each other while staying in compliance with industry regulations and laws.
- Appreciate the necessity for continuous lifelong learning.
- Work to continuously improve customer, management, and co-worker satisfaction.
Helpful High School Courses
- Appleton—1825 N. Bluemound Drive
Math, bookkeeping, speech, keyboarding, economics, English and office procedures prepare you for this program.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.