Program Code: 10-170-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 70 Credits
A Lakeshore Technical College Program Offered at FVTC
Financial Aid Eligible - Awarded through LTC
You've read the scrolling captions for the hearing impaired on your TV screen. The person providing instantaneous text of programs is trained in realtime transcription techniques and technology. These skills can also be used to provide CART (Communication Access Realtime) for hearing impaired students in educational as well as public settings. If you're an excellent listener, have strong language and communication skills, are committed to accuracy, and are able to work on deadline, a career in broadcast captioning may be a perfect fit for your talents.
About Shared Programs
Lakeshore Technical College (LTC) offers its Broadcast Captioning program in collaboration with Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC). As a broadcast captioning student, you'll:
- Attend the interactive TV and/or Internet classes sent from LTC to FVTC.
- Take general education classes and labs at FVTC.
Broadcast Captioning is a collaborative program between FVTC and LTC. Application for this program must be completed through LTC. LTC requires an official High School Transcript and the following Accuplacer Scores:
- Reading 74
- Sentence 103
- Arithmetic 79
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Develop proficiency in machine shorthand using realtime theory.
- Develop a personal dictionary, read, translate, and edit transcripts using CAT (computer assisted transcription) software.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper captioning procedures and responsibilities for captioning and CART reporting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the professional reporting organizations and methods of gaining certification as a Certified Broadcast Captioner.