Package and Label Printing Technician
Program Code: 10-204-4
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 67 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
The Flexographic Technical Association (FTA) reports the North Central region of the United States accounts for more than one-third of all flexographic printing plants and presses. One of the largest concentrations of printers using flexography in the country is located in Wisconsin, specifically the Fox Valley area. Careers in this field are growing at an 8-percent rate annually, with personnel expansion estimated at 25-percent over the next five years. This makes flexography (package & label printing) the fastest growing printing career, with an exceptional employment outlook.
Since the field of flexography (package & label printing) is quite diverse, it covers many distinct job titles. Some of them are electronic prepress technician; wide web, narrow web or corrugated press technician; platemaking technician; estimator, job planner; mounting and proofing technician; printing ink technician; team leader; and quality assurance technician.
Your training for this two-year associate degree program will be provided in the state-of-the-art, nationally recognized Flexographic Training and Research Center located at Fox Valley Technical College, Appleton WI. You will train in all areas of the flexographic process from electronic prepress, platemaking, plate mounting and ink management to printing press operation. Your training will be with certified technical instructors who have experience working in this field. In addition, you will train in team building, quality, process control and technical reporting to give you the basic skills required in the team environment which uses this advancing technology.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
The Package and Label Printing Technician program graduate will be able to:
Program Offered at This Location
- Use computer technology to design and prepare artwork for flexographic printing applications.
- Produce printing plates for flexographic print production.
- Mount and proof printing plates for flexographic print production.
- Safely and efficiently set up, run and clean wide web, narrow web and corrugated flexographic printing presses.
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills.
- Use instruments to measure color and print consistency.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
- Give written and oral instructions to other team members and customers.
- Work using continuous process improvement skills.
- Coordinate projects using time management skills.
- Troubleshoot flexographic printing problems using cause and effect skills.
- Produce documentation and keep records during flexographic print production.
- Produce color standards for print production.
- Ensure that all established quality standards are met throughout the flexographic process.
- Appleton Campus - D.J. Bordini Center Package & Label Printing Technologies Labs
For additional information, call or e-mail Elaine Meyer at (920) 735-4755.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.