Diesel Equipment Technology
Program Code: 10-412-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 67 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
Diesel equipment technicians repair and maintain electronic controlled diesel engines, air conditioning systems, electronic controlled air brake systems and drive lines that power heavy-duty trucks, buses, and construction equipment. Upon graduation from the Diesel Equipment Technology program, you will have the skills to service any type of diesel-powered equipment including stationary power and all styles of off-road equipment. Experts estimate a current shortage of 45,000 diesel technicians nationwide and growing. Wages continue to rise-you start at $12-15 per hour in our area.
Diesel technicians with advanced diagnostic, troubleshooting, and analysis skills are in demand. Fox Valley Technical College offers you a unique experience: our fleet of 60 diesel powered tractors puts you "in the shop" every day dealing with customer and vehicle complaints. This daily environment builds technical expertise and helps you gain knowledge of the sophisticated equipment used to diagnose and correct problems. In addition, the program's management and communication courses increase your ability as a graduate to qualify for promotions throughout your career.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- An ACCUPLACER Reading score of 47 or greater or completion of equivalent Program Prep course is a prerequisite to first term core courses.
- Tools are provided for core program courses.
Graduates of the Diesel Equipment Technology program will:
Program Offered at This Location
- Diagnose major systems in diesel and heavy equipment industry.
- Repair major systems in diesel and heavy equipment industry.
- Service major systems in diesel and heavy equipment industry.
- Practice personal and professional work habits.
- Document complaint, cause and correction.
Helpful High School Courses
- Appleton—1825 N. Bluemound Drive
Math, auto mechanics, machine shop, welding, applied science, physics, and drafting prepare you to enter this program.
For additional information, call or e-mail Mike Farrell at (920) 993-5118 or visit the department website at www.fvtc.edu/diesel.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.