Individualized Technical Studies
Program Code: 10-825-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 60-70 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
Rapid changes in technology and work processes have created a growing demand for flexibility and enhanced skill levels in the workplace. Increasingly employers are seeking workers able to perform multiple tasks and roles that cut across traditional occupational categories. To be productive and effective in the changing workplace, you may need skills and knowledge drawn from a variety of traditional areas of study. As an adult student, you may already have the occupational skills to operate your own business or prepare for career advancement, but would like to become more marketable or become a greater asset for your employer.
The Individualized Technical Studies degree is intended for currently employed people who have a specific career objective in mind that cannot be met by the college's existing degree programs. With this program, both employees and employers have the option of designing a customized program to meet their specific needs. This program offers the flexibility of a full- or part-time pace. Your Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) counselor can explain your options further.
An occupational advisor and a college advisor provide direction to you and your employer to identify the knowledge and skills required. All of our faculty are certified technical instructors with employment experience in your field of study.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
Required Course Work
- 3-5 years of employment experience.
- Involvement of an occupational advisor from business/industry.
- Structured portfolio prepared by the student with the occupational advisor which identifies individual career goals and outcomes.
- Review and approval of the request and program plan by an FVTC Individualized Technical Studies Committee chaired by the Chief Academic Officer.
- Individualized Technical Studies Committee approval of the program of study prior to the accumulation of 32 credits.
Technical Studies Courses*
*Guidelines for selecting the Technical Studies Courses are:
- Minimum of 36 credits of technical studies courses required—20 of these credits must be focused in one instructional area.
- Courses are selected to achieve the specific career goals you identify.
- Sufficient concentration of courses in one or two areas will ensure technical competence.
- Courses may be selected from any department of the college.
- Work experience component is recommended.
For more information, call the Appleton Campus at (920) 735-2427.