Medical Office Assistant
Program Code: 31-160-2
Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 1 Year, 28 Credits
Appleton and Oshkosh Campuses
Financial Aid Eligible
As a medical office assistant, you will work on the business side of heath care. Responsibilities include scheduling, filing, patient registration, creating business documents, answering calls, and greeting patients. Strong organizational skills, adherence to confidentiality standards, and an interest in customer service are key skills for medical office assistants. Some possible career options include customer service specialist, medical scheduler, medical reception, or medical records clerk.
The Medical Office Assistant program will prepare students to function as a medical office assistant in various health organizations. Students will gain knowledge and experience in medical law and ethics, business communication development, managing medical office procedures, electronic medical records, records management, medical language, medical and general office technologies, and anatomy and physiology.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
Program Offered at These Locations
- Perform administrative duties and responsibilities as defined within the healthcare environment.
- Apply technology skills to medical administrative duties.
- Utilize healthcare industry resources appropriately.
- Adhere to professional ethical and legal standards of conduct and legal regulations.
- Utilize effective written and oral communication skills integral to maintaining rapport with coworkers and customers while adhering to confidentiality and privacy standards.
Helpful High School Courses
- Appleton—1825 N. Bluemound Drive
- Oshkosh Riverside—150 N. Campbell Road
Courses in English, written communication, speech, algebra, biology, anatomy and physiology, Microsoft Office Suite, computer hardware/software, and keyboarding are helpful.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.