Construction, Residential Building
Program Code: 31-410-7
Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 45 Weeks, 43 Credits
S. J. Spanbauer Center, Oshkosh
Financial Aid Eligible
This one-year technical diploma program is designed for anyone interested in a career in residential construction.
The hands-on program will prepare you for employment with residential builders, remodelers, subcontractors, material suppliers and other specialists closely allied with the residential building market.
Construction theory and lab practice will be taught at Fox Valley Technical College's S. J. Spanbauer Center in Oshkosh. You will gain hands-on field experience through the construction or remodeling of a complete residence to be built on-site somewhere within the FVTC district. This full-time day program is 45 weeks long, in a three semester format, with entry in January, June, and August as openings exist. Instruction consists of approximately 20% classroom, 30% lab, and 50% on-site activities. You are required to purchase carpentry hand tools.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- High school graduation or equivalent
Graduates of the Residential Building Construction program will be prepared for entry-level employment in residential construction, remodeling, building supply or closely related professions. Program graduates will be expected to do the following:
Program Offered at This Location
- Properly use all tools, machinery and equipment commonly used in the construction or remodeling of any residential building.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of residential building systems and typical construction materials through proper communication, selection and installation of common building materials and prefabricated components.
- Apply a sound understanding of residential building materials and processes to the solution of new problems and ever-changing building techniques.
- Exhibit the work ethic, cooperation, flexibility and communication skills necessary to contribute to all types of work groups.
- Perform satisfactory service to all types of customers.
- Demonstrate personal integrity and a commitment to becoming a responsible building professional as evidenced by active participation in professional builders' groups, trade associations and community volunteer efforts.
- Oshkosh S. J. Spanbauer Center—3601 Oregon Street
For more information regarding the Residential Building Construction program, visit our department website at www.fvtc.edu/construction.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.