Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 1 Year, 33 Credits
Appleton & Oshkosh Campus - Spring Entry
Chilton & Waupaca Campus - Fall Entry
Financial Aid Eligible
The Medical Assistant program prepares you to assist physicians and nurse practitioners in their offices or other medical settings. As a medical assistant, you perform a wide range of duties. You are responsible for medical and surgical asepsis, taking vital signs, assisting the physician with examinations and surgery, administering ECGs and administering medications. Your business/administrative duties include patient reception, appointment making, recordkeeping, filing, bookkeeping, insurance handling, typing medical correspondence and transcription and microcomputer applications. Laboratory functions include specimen collection, performance of basic laboratory tests, and microscopic work. Upon graduation, you may find a job as a medical assistant, secretary, medical laboratory assistant, phlebotomist, receptionist, medical insurance clerk or electrocardiogram technician.
Upon completion of this two-semester, 33-credit program, you receive a technical diploma. Program is offered on the Appleton Campus, Oshkosh Riverside Campus and the Waupaca and Chilton Regional Centers.Notes:
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- Student experience in MA Practicum, 31-509-310, is an unpaid experience.
- The Fox Valley Technical College Medical Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) www.caahep.org, on recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756; 727-210-2350.
- Skills assessment
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Official high school transcript or equivalent
- MA functional ability agreement
Note: An ACCUPLACER Arithmetic score of 72 or greater or completion of equivalent Program Prep course is required to enroll in 31-509-304, Med Assistant Clinical Procedures 1 and 31-509-303, Medical Assistant Lab Procedures 1.
Caregiver Background Check
Must meet guidelines established by Wisconsin statutes regarding caregiver background check information prior to participating in any clinical placement.
Current Healthcare Provider CPR is required prior to clinical placement. A satisfactory medical examination must also be documented and on file with the College Health Office prior to clinical placement.
Functional Ability Agreement
Students must sign a Functional Ability Agreement upon enrollment in Occupational Specific courses.
Medical Assistant graduates will be able to:
Program Offered at These Locations
- Perform medical office administrative functions
- Provide patient care in accordance with regulations, policies, laws, and patient rights
- Perform medical laboratory procedures
- Demonstrate professionalism in a healthcare setting
- Demonstrate safety and emergency practices in a healthcare setting
Helpful High School Courses
- Oshkosh Riverside—150 N. Campbell Road
- Waupaca Regional Center—1979 Godfrey Drive
- Chilton Regional Center—1200 E. Chestnut Street
- Appleton-1825 N. Bluemound Drive
Biological sciences, keyboarding and microcomputer applications help prepare you for this program.
For additional information, contact Barb Tuchscherer at (920) 735-5774 or email@example.com or visit the Medical Assistant website at www.fvtc.edu/MedicalAssistant.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.