Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 49 Weeks, 57 Credits
FABTECH Service Technician Education Center, Oshkosh
Financial Aid Eligible
Graduates of this program find jobs with transportation and warehousing, wholesale trade industries, off road heavy equipment, rental store equipment, construction equipment and electrical power generation. There is a shortage of skilled diesel engine specialists. Positions in which graduates might gain employment include mechanic, diesel mechanic, general repair mechanic, diesel technician, truck mechanic, fleet mechanic and service technician.
The Power Generation & Marine Service Technician program is designed to provide students with the skills required to perform generator maintenance, engine overhauls, repairs, tune-ups, testing, fuel system repairs, and diagnostics. In addition, students will learn how to perform field service on Caterpillar® and Allied rental equipment. Students will obtain additional skills in advanced math, electrical power generation, air conditioning, electrical, and shop safety. FABCO Equipment, Inc.-Caterpillar® intends to offer a job to and hire all students that successfully complete the program.
Note: All tools and safety equipment are provided including uniforms.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- FABCO screens each applicant. Students are admitted after they pass a face to face interview with FABTECH recruiters and FVTC instructors.
- Reading score of 54 or greater, Sentence Skills score of 83 or greater, and Arithmetic score of 65 or greater or completion of Program Prep course.
- Students must submit a Statement of Interest form, sign a Release of Information form, and send in a high school transcript.
Program Offered at This Location
- Perform troubleshooting and repair of electrical control panels, auto transfer switches, switchgear, safety devices and solid state devices used on and in conjunction with Caterpillar generator sets.
- Use wiring and schematic diagrams to locate defective components and connect Caterpillar Generator equipment.
- Use test equipment common to the trade properly and safely on Caterpillar Generators.
- Maintain Caterpillar diesel engines by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements, engine testing, diagnostics, and engine overhauling.
- Repair Caterpillar equipment, including engines, using the latest tools and advanced diagnostic technology.
- Use the Caterpillar service information system and complete service reports.
- Perform scheduled and preventative maintenance procedures on Caterpillar heavy construction and Allied rental equipment.
- Operate hand tools and shop equipment safely.
- Use proper lifting and blocking procedures for a variety of equipment, following OSHA and MSHA laws and procedures.
- Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of electrical systems needed to properly diagnose and repair complex electrical and electronic systems installed in Caterpillar equipment and rental service machines.
- Demonstrate proper communication techniques, both oral and written, for customer service.
- Apply basic hydraulic principles, schematics, and diagnostic procedures.
Helpful High School Courses
- FABTECH Education Center—3729 Oregon Street (adjacent to S. J. Spanbauer Center)
Math, auto mechanics, machine shop, welding, applied science, physics, electrical, and drafting prepare you to enter this program.
For more information, contact Nancy Vanden Wymelenberg at (920) 232-6001 or visit www.fabco.com/fabtech/default.htm.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.