Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 49 Weeks, 57 Credits
FABTECH Service Technician Education Center, Oshkosh
Financial Aid Eligible
Graduates of this program find jobs with transportation and warehousing, wholesale trade industries, off road heavy equipment, rental store equipment and construction equipment. There is a shortage of skilled diesel engine specialists. Positions in which graduates might gain employment include mechanic, diesel mechanic, general repair mechanic, diesel technician, truck mechanic, fleet mechanic and service technician.
The Construction Equipment Service Technician program is designed to provide
students with the skills required to perform preventive maintenance and repairs
on a variety of compact and heavy Caterpillar® construction equipment. In
addition, students will learn how to perform field service on Caterpillar® and
Allied rental equipment. Students also will obtain skills in engine testing,
diagnostics, engine overhauling, air conditioning and shop safety. FABCO
Equipment, Inc.-Caterpillar® intends to offer a job to and hire all students
that successfully complete the program.
Note: This technical diploma is part of the FABTECH program
through the partnership FVTC has with FABCO. All students in the FABTECH program
start in the Diesel Engine Service Technician technical diploma. Upon completion
of that program, students are directed by their instructors and FABCO
representatives to enter into either the Diesel Construction Equipment Service
Technician technical diploma or Diesel Power Generation & Marine Service
Tech technical diploma. Upon completion of the two technical diplomas, students
have the option to pursue the Individualized Technical Studies-FABTECH Associate
Information about the FABTECH Program
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- FABCO screens each applicant. Students are admitted after they pass a face to face interview with FABTECH recruiters and FVTC instructors.
- Students must submit a Statement of Interest form, sign a Release of Information form, and send in a high school transcript.
Note: All tools and safety equipment are provided including uniforms.
Program Offered at This Location
- Maintain Caterpillar diesel engines by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements, engine testing, diagnostics, and engine overhauling.
- Repair Caterpillar equipment, including engines, using the latest tools and advanced diagnostic technology.
- Use the Caterpillar service information system and complete service reports.
- Perform scheduled and preventative maintenance procedures on Caterpillar heavy construction and Allied rental equipment.
- Operate hand tools and shop equipment safely.
- Use proper lifting and blocking procedures for a variety of equipment, following OSHA and MSHA laws and procedures.
- Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of electrical systems needed to properly diagnose and repair complex electrical and electronic systems installed in Caterpillar equipment and rental service machines.
- Demonstrate proper communication techniques, both oral and written, for customer service.
- Apply basic hydraulic principles, schematics, and diagnostic procedures.
- Troubleshoot complex hydraulic systems and repair and replace components.
- Explain air conditioning theory and apply concepts to efficiently troubleshoot air conditioning components.
Helpful High School Courses
- FABTECH Education Center—3729 Oregon Street (adjacent to S. J. Spanbauer Center)
Math, auto mechanics, machine shop, welding, applied science, physics, electrical, and drafting prepare you to enter this program.
For more information, contact Nancy Vanden Wymelenberg at (920) 232-6001 or visit www.fabco.com/fabtech/default.htm.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.