April 21 - 24, 2014; Class Number: 90534Length:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. TuesdayCost:
Fox Valley Technical CollegeTo REGISTER,
click here.To Attend This Training:
- You must be a member of a city, county, state, federal or military law enforcement agency.
- Be in good physical condition with no medical conditions that would preclude you from taking part in strenuous physical exertion.
- Be covered by appropriate "on the job" industrial insurance.
- Have access to a mountain bike the entire training.
Training Topics Offered:
Slow-speed drills ~ High-speed drills ~ Mastering stairs ~ Police technical skills ~ Effective cycling ~ Traffic stops ~ Nutrition/injuries/fitness Training Objectives: Upon completion of this training, each participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate ability to balance the mountain bike at slow speed, through a variety of cone training.
- Demonstrate proficiency at maneuvering the mountain bike at high speeds through cone training that simulate obstacle avoidance.
- Demonstrate full emergency braking of the mountain bike safely, with both brakes and front or rear brake only.
- Demonstrate a proper descent of stairs and steep inclines, without damaging the bike or losing control.
- Have an understanding of the principles and two methods of stair ascents
- Safely and effectively dismount the mountain bike at slow and moderate speeds.
- Demonstrate a proper right and left side cross over maneuver, and a cross-over takedown.
- Demonstrate three methods of using the mountain bike defensively, to include proper mountain bike positioning.
- Demonstrate proper exiting of the mountain bike and draw and dry fire at a suspect.
- Demonstrate proper riding protocol, including group riding, riding in traffic, hand signals, lane usage and positioning, pedal cadence, and proper shifting.
- Understand the mechanics of a proper traffic stop by a mountain bike officer.
- Must have access to a "quality mountain bike", duty uniform and duty gear, clothing for any weather
- Spare inner tube, pump and basic tools
- Bike light and flashlight for night operations