Last Page Visited

Early Childhood FAQs 

Q. What course meets licensing requirements to work in a child care center?
You have several options you can take.

Broad Based courses accepted as the first course required for assistants and teachers in a group child care center and a licensed family child care setting.

10-307-148 ECE: Foundations of Early Childhood Education, 3 credits

10-307-151 ECE: Infants and Toddler Development, 3 credits

10-307-167 ECE: Health, Safety, and Nutrition, 3 credits

10-307-179 ECE: Child Development, 3 credits

More Narrowly Based courses accepted as the second course required for teachers for a teacher in a group child care center.

10-307-166 ECE: Curriculum Planning, 3 credits

(Recommended by licensing staff as the 2nd course)

10-307-178 ECE: Art, Music, and Language Arts, 3 credits

10-307-187 ECE: Children with Differing Abilities, 3 credits

10-307-188 ECE: Guiding Child Behavior, 3 credits

10-307-194 ECE: Math, Science, and Social Studies, 3 credits

10-307-195 ECE: Family & Community Relationships, 3 credits

10-307-198 ECE: Administering an Early Childhood Education Program, 3 credits

Q.Why would I want to take the 2-year program over minimum requirements?
A. It is being mandated that all Head Start teachers and instructional aides in the public school system have a 2-year degree. Some other career choices which prefer a 2-year degree are:
  • Lead teacher
  • Program director
  • Director
  • Resource and referral specialist
  • Licensing specialist
  • Consultant
  • Parent educator
* Noncredit classes do not transfer into the Associate Degree

Q.I am thinking about becoming a family child care provider, what should I do?

A.Contact Child Care Resource and Referral at 920-886-1211 or Toll Free: 1-800-749-KIDS (5437) or access information on their website at

Early Childhood Education photo

   Maintained by:

   Kayla Krepline

   Last Modified:
   1/2/2014 1:36:26 PM