Last Page Visited

Graduation FAQs 

Which programs participate in the commencement ceremony?

  •   All associate degree plans
  •   All one-year technical diplomas
  •   All two-year technical diplomas
  •   Production Welding and Medical Coding

How do I know if I meet all my graduation requirements?

Review your Degree Progress Report through MyFVTC.  If you have any outstanding transfer credit or advanced standing, please submit an official transcript or any advanced standing paperwork before the end of your graduating term. (Be sure all grades are posted before requesting your official transcript.) You must have a program grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 or higher.  If you have questions, see your program advisor or academic counselor. You may also contact Barb Pautz at 735-4763.

Does applying for graduation through MyFVTC also register me for participation in the commencement ceremony?

Applying for graduation is a separate process from attending the commencement ceremony. Applying for graduation is a necessary step to initiate the registrar's office to review your degree progress report.  At this time, it is not necessary to RSVP for the ceremony.  It initiates a degree audit to be processed and reviewed by the Registrar to verify that all program requirements have been met. It is not mandatory to attend the commencement ceremony, but to receive your diploma, you do need to apply for graduation. All applied students will be sent an e-mail from the registrar with the commencement details the end of March.  If you are wanting to mark your calendar with plans earlier, you can view the commencement details for the 2014 May ceremony by clicking the link May 2014 Commencement Letter.

Do I have a deadline to submit the graduation application?

Yes, if you want to be included in the graduation program booklet for the winter ceremony, you must have your application submitted for graduation prior to March 28, 2014.  Applications submitted before or after March 28, 2014 will be accepted for graduation evaluation.  

I am graduating from a program that is shared with another Technical College; do I need to apply for graduation through Fox Valley Technical College?

No, if you are a part of a shared program that FVTC is hosting, you will need to apply for graduation through the school that owns the program.

I am completing my graduation requirements during the summer term. Which ceremony should I participate in?

August graduates should participate in the May commencement ceremony. A review of your degree audit will be done after your summer term ends and grades have been posted.   

I've completed all of the necessary requirements for my certificate; do I need to apply for graduation?

Yes, all certificate seeking students need to apply for graduation.  While certificate seeking students do not participate in the commencement ceremony, they do need to apply for graduation to receive their certificate.

Is there a graduation rehearsal for December or May?

No, our staff will guide graduates for line up and when it is time to approach the stage at each ceremony.  Be sure to check in and receive your name card.  Students may make phonetic markings on their card (for our announcers). When it comes time to approach the stage, be sure to take your card with you.  As you cross the stage, you will hand the card to the announcer.

How many guest per graduate can attend the ceremony?

Six guest seats per graduate for the December ceremony and unlimited guest seating for the May ceremony; tickets are not required for either ceremony.  Guests will not be allowed to reserve seats in the PAC Theater.

Do I qualify for an honor cord?

If you have a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher as of Friday, May 9, 2014 you will be given an honor cord at the graduation ceremony. 

Do I need to purchase a cap, gown and diploma cover?

The covers will be available at no cost and, you will receive it at the ceremony.  A black cap and gown is the required attire for the commencement ceremony.  If you are participating in the ceremony and already have your cap and gown, you must purchase a tassel for approximately $6.98 plus tax from the bookstore. Graduation regalia is available for those who need all graduation items (cap, gown, tassel) for approx. $31.98 plus tax. These may be purchased in-person at either the Appleton or Oshkosh bookstore.

What is the graduation commencement etiquette?

The commencement exercise is a formal academic ceremony. Please view Commencement Etiquette to ensure that our graduates and guests have the most enjoyable day possible.

How do I get my diploma cover if I didn't participate in the ceremony?

One cover will be available at no cost.  Please stop by the Enrollment Services office at any campus or regional center after you have received your diploma in the mail.  If you have more than one degree granted in an academic year, you can purchase additional covers at $7.50 per cover.  Programs that are eligible for a diploma cover are Associate or Technical degree programs.  Programs that are not eligible for a diploma cover are all  Nursing Assistant, Truck Driving, EMT – Basic, Law Enforcement Recruit Academy, and Certificates.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are sent to the address you have furnished FVTC.  Please be sure your current mailing address is updated.  You can verify this by signing into MyFVTC.
  • December graduates - 3rd week in January
  • May graduates - 3 week in June
  • August graduates - 3 week in August

Will there be a professional photographer at the ceremony?

Yes, FVTC has contracted with a professional photographer, GradImages,
  • Prior to the ceremony, click on GradImages to pre-register for your graduation pictures.  This is not required but helpful for the photographer to ensure accuracy.
  • After the ceremony, GradImages will contact graduates personally to deliver their proofs via  email/and or mail when they are available to view.  
  • Visit GradImages' website periodically to check availability.
  • If you have any questions or concerns, please contact GradImages’ Customer Service Department at 800-261-2576 or email

Are there handicap accommodations at the Kolf Sports Center (May graduation)?

Yes, sections of lot 13, located behind the Kolf Sports Center, is designated for individuals with disabilities and those with mobility concerns.  Click UWO Kolf Sports Center Handicap Parking to view handicap area.

Are there handicap accommodations at the Performing Arts Center (Dec. graduation)?

Yes, this valet service is free to persons displaying valid disabled parking license plates or identification cards.  Please approach the covered valet drive from the north. Or, handicap parking is available in the parking ramp located on Division Street, enter the first level and turn directly left; space is available.

Wheelchair Rental

If you have a family member or friend who may need the assistance of a wheelchair for the Kolf or PAC ceremony, we encourage you to rent or bring one to Kolf Sports Center or the PAC, if possible.  Wheelchairs can be rented for $10 and delivered directly to Kolf or the PAC by contacting Reliant Rehap at (920)749-3777. To ensure delivery, please make your wheelchair reservation one week in advance of the ceremony date. To store your chair and have it ready for you when you arrive, contact Barb Pautz at

Congratulations to all prospective graduates!

Participation in the commencement ceremony does not ensure graduation requirements have been satisfied. It is at your discretion to decide which ceremony is the most appropriate for you to attend.

Graduates by Building photo

   Maintained by:

   Barbara Pautz

   Last Modified:
   3/10/2014 1:54:28 PM