Fox Valley Technical College (“FVTC”, “we”, “us,” or “our”) is committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that gives you a safe online experience. This Privacy Notice describes FVTC’s policies and practices regarding the collection and use of your information on our website, however accessed (“Site”). By using the Fox Valley Technical College site, you consent to the privacy practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Collection of your Personal Information
What Information We Collect
The information we collect varies depending on the type of activity you are performing on our Site or how you use our services. At times we will collect personal information from you and in other instances our Site will collect other information in order to deliver our services or as part of operating this Site. Fox Valley Technical College collects personal information from you when you apply for admission, financial aid, or an internship or job on the Site, or if you request information from us. We gather the information which you directly provide including but not limited to:
- Email address
- Home or work address
- Telephone number
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- High School Attended
- Marital Status
Not all requested information is required, however, and we indicate what information is required in order to obtain the information or service you request.
User Content. You are able to send and post content and information, such as uploads, comments, images, messages (“User Content”) when you use certain parts of our Site that can be accessed and viewed by other users of the Site and services. Please do not post any personal information as part of your User Content. We are not responsible for any personal information you include in your User Content.
Other Information We Collect When You Use Our Site
You do not need to provide personal information in order to browse or use our Site or services. Our Site, however, collects certain information automatically about you and your use of our Site and services that does not necessarily personally identify you, your interactions with us and information regarding the device you use to access our Site and services (collectively “Other Information”). This information includes:
- IP address
- Device information, such as hardware setting browser type and language
- Identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (e.g. device advertising ID)
- Pages you have viewed, access times, and referring website addresses
- Searches you have conducted
How We Use your Personal Information
Fox Valley Technical College collects and uses your personal information to operate the Fox Valley Technical College Web site and deliver the services you have requested. Fox Valley Technical College also uses your personal information to inform you of other products or services available from Fox Valley Technical College and its affiliates and more specifically uses your information to do the below:
- Deliver our services to you, including providing access to our Site’s online features, such as applications and engaging in other transactions with us
- Communicate with you about our products and services, including to respond to your requests or respond to any other inquiry or correspondence you send to us
- Present you with marketing relating to FVTC, including more relevant display advertisements
- Contact you on behalf of a third party business partner to inform you about a particular offering that may interest you
- Provide you updates, reminders, or other informational or educational content
- Enable you to participate in a survey
- Enable you to participate in blogs and post testimonials. If you provide a testimonial, your name will be publicly posted along with the testimonial. Please remember that blogs and testimonials are located in the public areas of our Site. Do not share content that you would not want others to read, save, or share
- Consider you for admission, financial aid, or employment
- Analyze and improve the Site and services: including developing and improving products and services, monitoring and analyzing trends and usage;
- Prevent, detect, investigate, or remediate security or other legal concerns, including fraud
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of our users, or any other person or the copyright-protected content of the Services
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, or industry requirements, or respond to subpoenas or government requests
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it or consent
Fox Valley Technical College does not use or disclose sensitive personal information, such as race, religion, or political affiliations, without your explicit consent.
How We Share Your Information
We may share information collected about you in the following situations:
- With service providers:
- We share information about you with service providers to perform functions and process your data and to help provide our services including hosting and storage providers, payment processors etc.
- Our service providers are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to FVTC, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information
- With third parties for legal or security reasons:
- We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, or others.
- Detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- We may disclose or share your personal information in connection with an admissions or employment application to verify the information you provide
- With your consent. We may share information in other ways if you give us consent or direct us to do so.
- We do not share personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes.
The Fox Valley Technical College Web site use "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize Fox Valley Technical College pages, or register with Fox Valley Technical College site or services, a cookie helps Fox Valley Technical College to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same Fox Valley Technical College Web site, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Fox Valley Technical College features that you customized.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Fox Valley Technical College services or Web sites you visit.
Your Access and Choices About Your Information
You can access and update most of your account information on our site by clicking on "MyFVTC ". If you need to access, update, or delete other personal information that we may have, you can request it by changing it on "MyFVTC", or sending a request to Registration. Name changes must be requested in person. To protect your privacy, before we give you access or let you update your information, we may we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information. We will try to update and allow you to access your information for free, but if it would require a disproportionate effort on our part, we may charge a fee. We will disclose the fee before we comply with your request. We may reject a request for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other users, requires technical efforts that are disproportionate to the request, is repetitive, or is unlawful.
Security of Your Personal Information
Fox Valley Technical College uses reasonable measures to secure your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Please keep in mind that the Internet is not a 100% secure medium for communication, and we cannot guarantee that the information collected about you will always remain private when using our Services. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
How We Use Google Analytics
For analytics, we use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics may set cookies on your browser or mobile device or read cookies that are already there to collect information. Google Analytics may also receive information about you from apps you have downloaded that partner with Google. Google Analytics collects information such as how often you use our mobile application or website and how you use our App or site. We use the information provided by Google Analytics to improve our Services. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with personally identifiable information.
You can control the information provided to Google and opt out of certain ads provided by Google by using of the of the methods set forth in http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or use the Google Analytics opt out browser add-on at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
Links to Other Websites and Services
We are not responsible for the practices employed by websites or services linked to or from the FVTC App or Website, including the information or content contained in such websites or services, and this policy does not apply to them. Your browsing and interaction on any third-party website or service, including those that have a link on our Site, are subject to that third party’s own rules and privacy policies. Please read the terms of such websites carefully and exercise care when providing your personally identifiable information.
Do Not Track
Our Site does not support Do Not Track (DNT) at this time. DNT is a privacy preference you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your web page visits tracked and collected across websites. For more details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit www.donottrack.us.
FOR USERS IN THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA AND SWITZERLAND
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Information
Fox Valley Technical College as Controller
FVTC obtains and processes personal information in different capacities. When you provide us with your information through our Site or to use our services, we serve as a data controller. When we act as a data controller we determine how personal information will be utilized, in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Our Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Data
We process the personal information you provide relating to the services and Site in order to perform our contractual obligations to provide you services. We also process your personal information based on our legitimate interests to provide our services and Site to you, to develop and improve our services and Site that we provide to you, to prevent fraud, and/or comply with law enforcement requests. Where we ask for consent, we process certain personal information based on your consent.
Data Subject Rights
Access and Control of Your Information
We enable you to have control over the accuracy of your personal information. You can access and review your personal information by logging into the Site and visiting your account profile page through the MyFVTC link. You may also e-mail Registration. To protect your privacy, before we give you access or let you update your information, we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information. We will try to update and allow you to access your information for free, but if it would require a disproportionate effort on our part, we may charge a fee. We will disclose the fee before we comply with your request. We may reject a request for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other users, requires technical efforts that are disproportionate to the request, is repetitive, or is unlawful.
Right to Rectification
You have the right to correct your personal data if incorrect, which also includes the right to have incomplete personal data completed. You can do so by logging into your account and deactivating any incorrect or incomplete information and adding the corrected and/or completed information. You can also contact Registration.
When we process your personal data by automated means that you have provided to us based on consent or through a contract, you have the right to get a copy of that data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have that transferred to you or to third party.
Right to Restriction of Processing
You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information:
- During the pending period of time where we verify the accuracy of any personal data that you claim is inaccurate
- Where the processing of your personal data is unlawful but you oppose erasure and instead request that we restrict the use of your personal data
- If we no longer need your personal data but it is required for you to make or defend legal claims
- During the pending period of time where we verify our legitimate interest to process your data when you object to such processing
Erasure of Personal Data
There may be instances where we may not be able to delete your data or where we retain a copy of your data, for example, where we may need it to comply with a legal obligation or to protect the rights of others.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
We retain your personal data for as long as necessary to provide our services and Site to you. We will retain and use this information as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and then delete it.
How to Exercise Your Rights
In order to exercise the rights stated above, please email Registration. You can also exercise many of your data rights through your account.
Right to Complain to Supervisory Authority
If you believe that FVTC is processing your personal data in an incorrect or unlawful manner, please contact Registration. For those located in the European Union, you also have a right to file a complaint with a Supervisory Authority in the EU.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER OF INFORMATION COLLECTED
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Fox Valley Technical College will occasionally update this Privacy Notice. We will provide you notice of material changes by indicating that the Privacy Notice has been updated on our homepage and will indicate the date we made the update above. Your continued use of any of the services or Site after the changes have been made will constitute your acceptance of the changes. Please therefore make sure you read any such notice carefully. If you do not wish to continue using the services under the new version of the Privacy Notice, please cease using the Site and our services.
Fox Valley Technical College welcomes your comments and questions regarding this Statement of Privacy. Please contact Fox Valley Technical College Registration.