Printing and Publishing
Program Code: 10-204-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Associate Degree: 2 Years, 61 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
The printing and publishing industry is very diversified, covering many distinct job titles. They include desktop publishing, page layout artist, scanner operator, duplicator operator, press operator, press helper, bindery worker, customer service, sales and service. In large printing establishments, you usually specialize in one particular area. In smaller companies, you often perform a variety of functions.
Printing and Publishing is a two-year program. New students may enter the program at the start of the fall semester, provided there are openings. The curriculum is designed to give you a broad overview of the industry. You will gain basic skills in many areas, giving you an understanding of the opportunities available.
Through your training, you acquire skills needed to function in an increasingly specialized and technologically advanced industry. Upon successful completion of the program, you receive an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
Graduates of the Printing and Publishing program at Fox Valley Technical College are prepared to seek employment in the printing industry and are expected to be able to:
Program Offered at This Location
Appleton Campus - D.J. Bordini Center Printing Technologies Lab
View Printing & Publishing video on YouTube
- Demonstrate proper and appropriate mechanical, chemical and personal safety work habits and practices.
- Set up and operate a variety of printing equipment in both the pre-press and press areas, bindery equipment and finishing.
- Understand and apply the concepts related to efficient work flow of printed products.
- Understand various printing processes, including the strengths and limitations of each.
- Adapt to change as change takes place in the printing industry.
- Use skills and knowledge to solve problems.
- Work effectively in diverse groups to complete individual and team assignments.
- Communicate effectively with customers and peers.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet organizational requirements such as schedules, deadlines and timetables.
- Demonstrate good work habits such as personal integrity and ethical and responsible behavior.
For additional information, call or e-mail Elaine Meyer at (920) 735-4755.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.