Program Code: 31-101-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 1 Year, 31 Credits
Appleton and Oshkosh Campuses
Financial Aid Eligible
As an accounting assistant, you will maintain up-to-date and accurate records of daily transactions, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventories, payroll and various other records. You may assist an accountant in the preparation of financial statements. You may record and compile financial data by hand or with the aid of a computer. As an accounting assistant, you may also be called upon to work with customers and to perform various general office responsibilities such as answering the telephone, handling the mail, filing correspondence, and typing reports or correspondence.
The Accounting Assistant program is designed to train you in accounting procedures. Several accounting courses which utilize modern applications of accounting transactions on microcomputers are included. In addition to accounting, you will study business math and communication skills.
You may enter the program in the fall and complete the requirements within one year. If you enter in the winter semester, you may need to extend your program over three semesters of instruction. You will receive credit for skills or knowledge previously acquired by successfully completing test-out procedures.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
Program Offered at These Locations
- Apply computer technology utilizing spreadsheets, word processing, database and accounting-related software.
- Communicate business information effectively to a diverse population using a variety of communication methods, such as writing, speaking, listening, charting and graphing.
- Function effectively and productively within a team-focused work group in different ever-changing environments and time constraints.
- Develop a professional growth plan for continuous lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate an ethical, responsible and dependable attitude.
Helpful High School Courses
- Appleton—1825 N. Bluemound Drive
- Oshkosh Riverside—150 N. Campbell Road
Basic courses in math and English are very desirable. In addition, any office-related courses are helpful in completing the program in one year.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.