Program Code: 31-508-1
Print Program Overview and Courses
Technical Diploma: 36 Weeks, 33 Credits
Financial Aid Eligible
As a dental assistant, you are an integral member of the dental health team. You perform chairside assisting and laboratory procedures under the direction and supervision of the dentist. As a qualified dental assistant, you:
- Exhibit knowledge of disinfecting and sterilization.
- Assist at chairside in all dental procedures by using current concepts of four- and six-handed dentistry.
- Exhibit a practical knowledge of dental equipment, its use, routine care, and maintenance.
- Identify instruments for various dental procedures.
- Expose and process radiographs.
- Assist in taking and recording medical or dental histories, blood pressure and vital signs.
- Assist in the management of medical and dental emergencies.
- Perform basic dental business office procedures.
- Prepare dental materials and perform dental laboratory procedures.
- Perform expanded functions allowed by the State of Wisconsin.
The Dental Assistant graduate might gain employment in the following positions: Dental Chairside Assistant, Dental Office Manager or Receptionist or Laboratory Assistant or Technician, Dental Treatment Coordinator, Oral Surgery or Endodontic or Prosthodontic, or Orthodontic or Pediatric or Periodontic Dental Assistant, Dental Sales Representative or Dental Insurance Claims Representative.
The 36-week Dental Assistant program is divided into two semester segments. Most of your courses are offered during the regular school day, but some evening courses are required. Upon completion of the program, you will receive a diploma and be eligible to take the certification examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. The Dental Assistant program at Fox Valley Technical College is fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
Program/Plan Admission Requirements
- Skills assessment
- High school graduation or equivalent
- ACCUPLACER Reading score of 54 or greater and ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 83 or greater or completion of equivalent Program Prep course is required prior to registering for core classes.
- The Fox Valley Tech Health History form and required immunizations must be on file in the FVTC Health Office prior to first semester, Dental Assistant Clinical, 31-508-306.
- Student will be required to show proof of CPR certification before beginning Dental Assistant Clinical, 31-508-306.
- Hepatitis B vaccination is strongly recommended.
The graduate of the Dental Assistant program will:
Program Offered at This Location
- Perform a variety of advanced supportive dental procedures.
- Manage infection and hazard control.
- Produce diagnostic intraoral and extraoral radiographs on a variety of patients.
- Perform advanced dental laboratory procedures.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors, ethics, and appearance.
- Perform dental office business procedures.
Helpful High School Courses
- Appleton—1825 N. Bluemound Drive
Biology, English, hygiene, speech, keyboarding, math, and first aid are useful preparation.
For additional information, call or e-mail Ann Williams CDA, MA at (920) 735-5663 or visit www.fvtc.edu/dentalassistant.
For additional program/admission information, View Program Plan.