Skip to Main Content

GED/HSED & Adult High School

Congratulations on taking the first step toward completing your high school credential! Whether you want to improve your career opportunities and earning potential, or want to satisfy a personal goal, your high school credential is a significant milestone. There are several options to meet your individual needs.


What are GED and HSED?

GED is the acronym for the tests of general educational development that were developed by the American Council on Education and are administered in Wisconsin at testing sites approved by the state superintendent and GED Testing Service, a branch of the American Council on Education. The GED test consists of a battery of tests to measure competency in math, science, social studies, and language arts (reading and writing). Persons who pass only the GED test battery qualify for a GED certificate issued by the Department of Public Instruction. The GED is a nation-wide credential with minimum education standards.

Wisconsin’s version has four additional subject areas and is called the (High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED). It consists of the GED test battery as well as health, civic literacy, employability skills, and career awareness. The HSED is a higher level of education than the GED.

Learn More About GED

GED Requirements

The GED Certificate requirements include:

  • Participate in an orientation
  • Complete a reading assessment
  • Complete career interest inventory
  • Enroll in test preparation classes
  • Pay the associated testing fees

Successfully complete four GED tests in reasoning through language arts, social studies, mathematical reasoning and science, as well as successful completion of the state of Wisconsin civics test.

HSED Requirements

There are five different ways to earn an HSED in Wisconsin. The first option, P.I.5.05, meets the needs of the majority of students seeking an HSED.

P.I.5.05 – Pass the four GED tests, meet the requirements in health and employability skills and successfully complete the state of Wisconsin civics test.

P.I.5.06 – Earn at least 22 high school credits including four in English, three in social studies, two in math, two in science, and one-half in health and successfully complete the state of Wisconsin civics test.

P.I.5.07 – Earn 24 post-secondary credits including a credit in each subject in which you did not complete the high school credits required, except physical education, as well as successfully complete the state of Wisconsin civics test.

P.I.5.08 – Present a foreign diploma or degree and meet citizenship requirements as well as successful completion of the state of Wisconsin civics test.

P.I.5.09 – Complete a state-approved program through coursework designed to provide knowledge and skills that are expected to be taught in the courses required of high school graduates, including employability skills, the successful completion of the state of Wisconsin civics test, and excluding physical education.

Students who choose to earn an HSED through any of these options must meet the state eligibility requirements before starting. After completion of any of these five options, a High School Equivalency Diploma is issued from the State of Wisconsin.

If you'd like more information about upgrading your GED to a HSED, call us at 920-993-5139.

Start with the orientation

The first step to pursuing your GED or HSED is to schedule your orientation.

Learn More

Classes to help you prepare

After your orientation, you can register for Adult Basic Education classes to help you prepare for the GED or HSED test. These classes will help you build your skills and confidence in reading, writing, math, science, social science and study skills. 

Learn More

Scheduling Your GED/HSED tests

If you have met your preparation requirements, it's time to schedule your GED/HSED testing appointment. You must schedule your appointment at least two business days prior to your test session. You can schedule your appointment online or by calling Pearson Vue at 1-877-392-6433. View the Summer 2017 GED/HSED test schedule (PDF).

Schedule Your GED Test

Note: If you cannot attend your scheduled GED/HSED test time, you must cancel your appointment with Pearson Vue at least 24 hours prior to your test or you will be charged the test fee.

To schedule your health or civics tests, contact the FVTC Testing Center at or call 920-993-5139.  

GED/HSED Transcripts

To request a copy of your GED/HSED transcripts, contact the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If you need verification for your GED/HSED, this resource provides instructions.

Adult High School

What is Adult High School?

Adult High School offers adults ages 18 and older the opportunity to earn a high school diploma from their high school. Fox Valley Technical College provides high school equivalent courses that area high schools can accept to meet graduation requirements. When you have completed the requirements, you will receive a diploma from the participating high school.

Who is eligible?

If you are age 18 or older and within a few credits of graduation from your high school, this may be a good option for you. A suggested guideline is that you should not be more than three credits short of graduation.

How do I get started?

To get started, call the Fox Valley Technical College location you plan to attend. A representative will explain the procedures between FVTC and your high school, and send you the necessary paperwork. You will work with your FVTC representative to write your Educational Plan Agreement, then have it approved by your high school. 

Your next step will be to attend a First Steps to Success orientation. Then you'll be ready to register for classes.

Upon completion of your classes, a transcript is sent to your high school and a diploma is issued from the high school.

Are you under 18 and still in high school? If so, there are special high school completion programs just for you.

Check Out Your Options



Appleton - Downtown - Riverview Gardens Building

Oshkosh Riverside
920-236-6142 or 1-877-272-4559

920-849-4416 or 1-800-843-4131

715-823-1555 or 1-800-321-7133


920-787-3319, ext. 6313