Printed on 5/15/2021
Laboratory Science Assistant
Technical Diploma (TD)
Part Time and Full Time
Financial Aid Eligible
Time of Day:
*If general education courses are required, they may be available at multiple locations.
Put your love of science to work in a rewarding career. This program will prepare you for entry-level employment in food, water, environmental, wastewater treatment or other industrial laboratory settings. You’ll learn lab procedures as you perform a variety of test projects involving biology, chemistry, DNA science and microbiology. Gain plenty of hands-on experience in the lab, where you will focus on safety and quality assurance.
Dairy Laboratory Assistant
Environmental Laboratory Assistant
Food Laboratory Assistant
Water & Wastewater Laboratory Assistant
An academic skills assessment is required for admission into this program or the following: High School GPA of 2.75 or higher (last 10 years) OR provide completion of associate’s or higher degree OR; 165 or higher on your 2014 series GED tests OR; ACT OR SAT OR Accuplacer OR Companion OR Compass (last 3 years) to waive to the general education level; The cost of the Accuplacer assessment is $15; Catalog #: 94100100; Learn more at www.fvtc.edu/Assessment.
Proof of HS Completion
Submit a final, official high school transcript, an original diploma or an official copy of GED/HSED Certification Scores.
Credit Transfer Options
They're your credits. Take them with you!
Whether you’re an incoming student, transferring to another two-year college or pursuing your bachelor’s degree, we make it easy for you to seamlessly transfer your credits. With full accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, we offer credit transfer agreements with more than 65 two-and four-year colleges.
- Perform basic laboratory functions by following standard procedures with proper documentation and validation of results.
- Comply with all regulatory and industry standard procedures and requirements to ensure integrity of laboratory data.
- Analyze samples using good laboratory practices that ensure accuracy and precision.
- Conduct laboratory work to create a safe environment according to documented safety guidelines and procedures.
- Perform all basic laboratory calculations accurately and interpret results using standard laboratory statistical methods.
- Perform standard operating procedures and laboratory tests according to workplace requirements.
- Demonstrate responsible and ethical behavior in all work.
- Communicate results accurately and in a timely fashion.
Still undecided about your major or exploring your career options? Check out these resources to identify your personality traits, values, abilities and interests – important considerations when choosing a career. You’ll also find details about scheduling a college visit and contact information for our career counselors if you’d like more personal assistance. We’re here to help you explore your options.