Printed on 11/26/2021
Diesel Construction Equipment Service Technician (FABTECH)
Technical Diploma (TD)
Financial Aid Eligible
Time of Day:
*If general education courses are required, they may be available at multiple locations.
Get the skills you need to perform preventive maintenance, field service and repairs on a variety of compact and heavy Caterpillar® construction equipment. You’ll also obtain skills in engine testing, diagnostics, engine overhauling, air conditioning and shop safety. In a year, you could be on the job earning a good income at [Fabick Cat](https://www.fabickcat.com/our-company/education-programs/), your exclusive Cat Dealer for the entire state of Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and throughout major portions of Missouri and Illinois. This technical diploma is one of two required. The 40 credits earned in the Diesel Engine Service Technician program will apply, leaving you with just 15 additional credits needed to complete this technical diploma.
General Repair Mechanic
Credit Transfer Options
They're your credits. Take them with you!
Whether you’re an incoming student, transferring to another two-year college or pursuing your bachelor’s degree, we make it easy for you to seamlessly transfer your credits. With full accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, we offer credit transfer agreements with more than 65 two-and four-year colleges.
- Maintain Caterpillar diesel engines by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements, engine testing, diagnostics, and engine overhauling
- Repair Caterpillar equipment, including engines, using the latest tools and advanced diagnostic technology
- Use the Caterpillar service information system and complete service reports
- Perform scheduled and preventative maintenance procedures on Caterpillar heavy construction equipment
- Operate hand tools and shop equipment safely
- Use proper lifting and blocking procedures for a variety of equipment, following OSHA and MSHA laws and procedures
- Demonstrate proper communication techniques, both oral and written, for customer service
- Diagnose, repair and service brake systems
- Diagnose, repair and service Electrical/Electronic Systems
- Diagnose, repair and service Drive Train Systems
- Diagnose, repair and service Steering & Suspension Systems
- Diagnose, repair and service HVAC Systems
- Diagnose, repair and service Hydraulic Systems
- Diagnose, repair and service Diesel Engines
- Troubleshoot complex advanced hydraulic systems and repair and replace components on Caterpillar heavy construction equipment
- Troubleshoot complex construction drive train systems and repair and replace components on Caterpillar heavy construction equipment
This technical diploma is part of the FABTECH program through the partnership FVTC has with Fabick Cat. All students in the FABTECH program start in the Diesel Engine Service Technician technical diploma. Upon completion of that program, you are guided by your instructors and Fabick Cat representatives to enter into either the Diesel Construction Equipment Service Technician technical diploma or Diesel Power Generation & Marine Service Tech technical diploma. Upon completion of the two technical diplomas, you have the option to pursue the Individualized Technical Studies-FABTECH associate degree.
[Learn more about FABTECH and Fabick Cat.](https://www.fabickcat.com/our-company/education-programs/)
Still undecided about your major or exploring your career options? Check out these resources to identify your personality traits, values, abilities and interests – important considerations when choosing a career. You’ll also find details about scheduling a college visit and contact information for our career counselors if you’d like more personal assistance. We’re here to help you explore your options.