Skip to Main Content


Have you earned college credits outside of Fox Valley Tech, either while in high school or at another college or university? Do you have knowledge and skills learned in your chosen career field? You might be able to use those experiences to earn credits towards your FVTC program.

Earn College Credit in High School

There are a number of ways to earn college credit while you’re still in high school. Talk to your high school counselor for more information about the options to put your college career on the fast track.


If you’ve already earned credits from other colleges or universities, you may be able to apply them toward your FVTC program. To find out if your credits will transfer, you must submit your official transcripts for review. Contact each institution you've attended and ask to have your official transcript sent directly to:

Fox Valley Technical College
Transfer Credit Office 
P.O. Box 2277
Appleton, WI  54912-2277

Or email

Advanced Standing

You may be granted credit in a program for knowledge and skills that directly relate to the program courses. Advanced standing may be gained through the following methods:

  • Examination
  • First-hand learning (previous work experience, military training, business and industry training, etc.)
  • Partnership agreements with high schools
  • Apprenticeship training

View Advanced Standing procedures

Methods to earn Advanced standing

Credit by Examination

Consideration will be given to any student who requests advanced standing credit by exam prior to enrollment in the related class. At the discretion of the Division Dean or designee, the evaluation of such credit is conducted through oral, written, or performance exam, portfolio development and review, or by a combination of these methods. If the student successfully completes the exam, credit will be granted for the course. Students may attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific course only once.

Students may be awarded credit for a course(s) by achieving an acceptable score on an exam with nationally recognized standards including Advanced Placement (AP) exams with a score of 3 or above and the CLEP exams with a score of 50 or above.

Credit for Experiential Learning

Credit may be granted for previous work experience, previous military education or experience, business and industry training, advanced high school courses comparable in content and level, or other prior learning experiences. At the discretion of the Division Dean or designee responsible for the course(s) under consideration, this assessment is conducted through methods such as, but not limited to, portfolio development and review, transcript and resume review, and personal interview. Skills and knowledge gained through experiential learning must relate directly to the program course(s) and be comparable in content and level of rigor; elective credit may serve as another option.

Credit through Articulation Agreements

The College has established a number of articulation agreements with the area high schools to grant advanced standing credit to recent high school graduates who have successfully completed course work and have met the requirements of these specific agreements. This is a formal process to coordinate instructional programs, enabling students to move from one instructional level to another without unnecessary duplication. In order to be eligible for advanced standing credit, students must present official high school transcript of high school course (s) completion that meets conditions stated in the articulation agreement. Take the completed form to your high school and request that the high school send it along with an official "final" high school transcript to FVTC, Transfer Credit Office.

For students transferring from another technical college district, credit awarded for high school coursework covered by an articulation agreement at the originating technical college shall be accepted as credit toward completion of a comparable course or courses.

Associate Degree Advanced Standing for Apprenticeship Training

Apprentices who have completed a minimum of 400 hours of registered apprenticeship related instruction and obtained journey-level status are eligible for 32 credits of advanced standing to meet the occupational-specific course requirements of an Associate Degree in Technical Studies-Journey worker. Students must present appropriate documentation, including a Wisconsin Journey level certificate. Students may be awarded a maximum of eight additional credits toward the associate degree for registered apprenticeship related instruction beyond the 400-hour minimum at the rate of one credit per 36 hours of instruction.

Associate Degree Advanced Standing for Technical Diploma Course Work

Advanced standing credit can be awarded for technical diploma level course work toward an associate degree. Any request for advanced standing of technical diploma credits toward an associate degree must be reviewed and authorized by the respective Division Dean. For the Division Dean to review and authorize this advanced standing, at no time should more than one credit of coursework at the associate degree level be granted for three technical diploma credits. Some form of competency assessment is strongly recommended to inform this advanced standing decision to help ensure student success.

Advanced Standing for Youth Apprenticeship Course Work

Youth Apprenticeship instruction is granted advanced standing in associate degree or technical diploma programs. Consistent with the timeframe for articulated agreements, students must enroll at FVTC within 27 months after high school graduation to be eligible for advanced standing credit and present appropriate documentation of successful completion of the Youth Apprenticeship program. 

Transfer Credit & Advanced Standing FAQ

What are official transcripts?

Official transcripts are transcripts with the school's seal, sent directly from the school you attended previously.

Do I need transcripts from all previous schools?

Yes, if your previous courses are relevant for your FVTC program, we will need a transcript from each school you attended. If, however, those courses don't apply to your FVTC program, then you don't need to send that transcript.

How can I find out which credits will transfer to FVTC?

Fox Valley Technical College accepts transfer credits from regionally and nationally accredited institutions. Also, FVTC transfers in only the classes that are applicable to your program of study. Per FVTC policy, you must complete a minimum of 25% of the required coursework at Fox Valley Technical College in order to earn an associate's degree or technical diploma from our college (for certificates, you must complete 50% of the coursework at FVTC). Your transfer credits will need to be approved by the program division to ensure the coursework meets the same academic rigor at our college.

Prior to submitting an application for admission, you can email an unofficial transcript from your current or previous college to and indicate the FVTC program you intend to pursue. We will evaluate the transcripts and email a listing of the classes that are expected to transfer to your FVTC program. You can also use the Transfer Information Wizard to find out which courses will transfer. Note: this review is unofficial; you will need to send official transcripts to FVTC once you have applied to your program. 

Once you have applied to a program and have submitted your official transcripts for review, we will evaluate your transcripts and post the approved credits to your MyFVTC Account. Then we will email you a Student Transfer Evaluation. You can also view your transfer credit in your MyFVTC Account and on your unofficial transcript.

Do I need to complete Accuplacer testing if I have college credits and/or a college degree?

Not necessarily. If your admission requirements include Accuplacer testing, official college transcripts will be reviewed and some or all of the Accuplacer assessment may be waived to the general education level. If your program requires higher Accuplacer assessment scores, you will need to test to see if you meet the higher requirements.

Does my transfer credit affect my FVTC grade point average?

No. Transfer credit is designated with a grade of TC on your transcript and is not calculated in your GPA.

How do I get credit for college-level courses I took in high school?

Fox Valley Tech recognizes courses taken under formal agreements between high schools and technical colleges. To have these courses reviewed, you must submit a high school transcript after you have applied for a program at FVTC. Per the agreements between high schools and the technical colleges, you must have earned a grade of B or better for the course to be considered by FVTC. If accepted, we will process the credits as Advanced Standing (AS) on your transcript. These courses do not apply toward your academic GPA.

High School Advanced Placement courses: FVTC will accept the passing AP TEST only; you will not receive credit for completion of the course alone. Please submit the AP test results to the transfer credit office for evaluation. If accepted, we will process the credits as Advanced Standing (AS) on your transcript. These courses do not apply toward your academic GPA.

Does apprenticeship training transfer to FVTC?

You may receive up to 32 credits for your prior learning towards an associate degree. For more information, contact our counseling center at 920-735-5696.

Does FVTC accept military training and credits?

Yes, we will accept military training and credits. Please submit a JST (Joint Service Transcript), SMART or ACE transcript for evaluation.

Does FVTC accept transfer credits from another country?

Yes, we accept credits completed in another country. We require a Credit Assessment of your translated transcript. Credit Assessments MUST be completed by a certified evaluator and MUST include proof of certification credentials. For more information, please contact the transfer credit office.

Does FVTC accept CLEP, DANTES and College Board credits?

Yes, we accept all of these credits and will transfer in the applicable courses based on the test results. Please submit test results to the transfer credit office for evaluation. If approved, the credits will be recorded as Advanced Standing (AS) on your official transcript. These courses will not apply toward your academic GPA.

How can I find out if another college will accept my FVTC credits?

Contact the college you want the credits to transfer to and provide them with the required documentation. An official transcript is what most colleges require. If more information is requested (such as class description, course numbers, and/or course syllabus), please contact the transfer credit office for assistance.


Transfer Credit Office