Printed on 2/23/2019
Automotive Technology GM ASEP
Associate Degree (AAS)
Financial Aid Eligible
*If general education courses are required, they may be available at multiple locations.
If your career goal is to become a GM certified automotive technician, then this is the program for you. This General Motors Automotive Service Educational Program (GM ASEP) will give you the skills and experience to work in a GM dealership service department or AC Delco certified repair facility. Your training will help you become a top-level technician who specializes in the diagnostics and repair of GM vehicles, including on-vehicle computers, automatic transmissions, climate control systems, electrical systems and engines. You’ll work with the latest GM products and technology. This hands-on program will have you well on your way to a successful career as a GM certified technician.
GM World Class Technician
Estimated Program Cost
This program will cost about
based on current tuition and fees.
Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Costs may not include all books or all materials and supplies.
Some textbook costs may be included in the estimated program cost.
Check Program Availability *
Automotive Technology GM ASEP
* Programs may be available at locations that are not listed here.
* Depending on program enrollment and prerequisite requirements, there may be a wait for some program courses. Please see the additional information section for details.
Accepting applications for this term
Accepting paper applications only
Not accepting applications for this term
An academic skills assessment is required for admission into this program or the following: High School GPA of 2.75 or higher (last 10 years) OR provide completion of associate’s or higher degree OR; 165 or higher on your 2014 series GED tests OR; ACT OR SAT OR Accuplacer OR Companion OR Compass (last 3 years) to waive to the general education level; The cost of the Accuplacer assessment is $15; Catalog #: 94100100; Learn more at www.fvtc.edu/Assessment.
Bennett Mechanical Assessment
Complete the Bennett Mechanical Assessment.
Credit Transfer Options
They're your credits. Take them with you!
Whether you’re an incoming student, transferring to another two-year college or pursuing your bachelor’s degree, we make it easy for you to seamlessly transfer your credits. With full accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, we offer credit transfer agreements with more than 65 two-and four-year colleges.
- Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the auto service industry
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive internal combustion engines
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive automatic transmission/transaxle systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive manual drive train and axles systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive steering and suspension systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive brake systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive electrical & electronic systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive heating and air conditioning systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive engine performance systems
This program is accredited by the nationally recognized Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation.
This program is certified by the Automotive Service Educational Program (ASEP) - General Motors
- General Motors Technician Certification meeting over 80% of GM Service training standards.
Students can obtain Federal 609 Mobile HVAC certification to repair mobile air conditioning systems.
During your first semester in the Automotive Technology GM ASEP program, we will assist you in locating a paid internship to be started during your second semester.
The remainder of training alternates between 9 weeks at your paid internship and 9 weeks on campus, Monday-Thursday, leaving you the opportunity to earn additional income on Fridays and weekends. Many students also work mornings, since our classes run from noon to 6 pm.
Some required general education classes are offered in the mornings and Monday nights.
You may also be eligible for additional benefits including employment and tuition reimbursement. You’ll have the opportunity to purchase tools at a substantially discounted rate during your first and third paid co-op internships to use after graduation.
Tools will be provided for students to use while on campus
Still undecided about your major or exploring your career options? Check out these resources to identify your personality traits, values, abilities and interests – important considerations when choosing a career. You’ll also find details about scheduling a college visit and contact information for our career counselors if you’d like more personal assistance. We’re here to help you explore your options.